As part of California Code of Regulations, Title 8, Section 3203, every public entity must have an established Injury and Illness Prevention Plan (IIPP). Part of the requirements of the IIPP is to have a communication with employees and one way to effectively do that is to establish a "Safety Committee". Western Placer Unified School District has opted to establish just such a committee, not only to comply with the regulations around the IIPP, but also as an effective manner of fully evaluating safety concerns with a group of selected employees. The District's Safety Committee is comprised of representatives from all bargaining groups and from all classifications and meets quarterly to review safety concerns and updated safety information.
(excerpt from California Code of Regulations, Title 8, Section 3203)
"(c) Employers who elect to use a labor/management safety and health committee to comply with the communication requirements of subsection (a)(3) of this section shall be presumed to be in substantial compliance with subsection (a)(3) if the committee:
(1) Meets regularly, but not less than quarterly;
(2) Prepares and makes available to the affected employees, written records of the safety and health issues discussed at the committee meetings and, maintained for review by the Division upon request. The committee meeting records shall be maintained for at least one (1) year;
(3) Reviews results of the periodic, scheduled work site inspections;
(4) Reviews investigations of occupational accidents and causes of incidents resulting in occupational injury, occupational illness, or exposure to hazardous substances and, where appropriate, submits suggestions to management for the prevention of future incidents;
(5) Reviews investigations of alleged hazardous conditions brought to the attention of any committee member. When determined necessary by the committee, the committee may conduct its own inspection and investigation to assist in remedial solutions;
(6) Submits recommendations to assist in the evaluation of employee safety suggestions; and(7) Upon request from the Division, verifies abatement action taken by the employer to abate citations issued by the Division."