State and Federal Law ensures that "all individuals with exceptional needs have available to them a free, appropriate public education and related services to meet their unique needs." When a child is being assessed for possible special education needs, an Individualized Education Program (IEP) meeting shall be convened. Parents are an integral part of that team.

New InformationTop of Page

Special Education is specialized instruction provided for children from birth to age 22 who qualify according to the laws and regulations outlined by the state and federal government.

Western Placer Unified School District serves students with special needs who reside within the district and are between the ages of 3 years through age 22, including students attending private schools.
Please do not hesitate to call should you have any questions or concerns regarding special education.
Susan Watkins                                                   
Director of Special Education                          
Christa Burke                                                          Amy Pettersen
Program Specialist Elementary School              Program Specialist, Middle School- High School
916-645-4078                                                          916-645-4078
Kristi Gregersen                                Diane Metzelaar                               Olivia Herring
SELPA Program Specialist               Special Ed Secretary                         Special Ed Clerk
530-886-5872                                    916-645-4078                                     916-645-4078
For Special Education Records, please send request via fax to 916-645-9267 or email to
Thank you!

Parent Notice of Potential Release of Student InformationTop of Page

The California Department of Education (CDE) is currently engaged in litigation with two non-profit associations comprised of parents and guardians of children with disabilities.  The plaintiffs in that litigation have requested numerous documents, as well as student data collected and stored by CDE, which may include personally identifiable student information.

To comply with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), CDE has been ordered, among other things, to inform parents and students of the disclosure of such information.  CDE has requested that school districts and SELPAs post the following link to CDE’s website:  The link provides a Notice and Objection form to allow parents to object, by April 1, 2016, to the disclosure of personally identifiable information related to their children.

Please understand that the district is not a party to the litigation and is not required to disclose any student information, nor does it intend to do so.  For more information, please contact CDE directly at 916-319-0800​.

Community Advisory Committee (CAC)Top of Page

What is the Placer County SELPA CAC?
The Placer County SELPA Community Advisory Committee (CAC) primarily includes the Local Plan Area’s parents/guardians of students with special needs along with volunteers and professionals who work with students with special needs. It is facilitated by the Placer County SELPA and includes representatives from each Local Education Agency (LEA) in Placer County SELPA.
What does the SELPA CAC do?
The goal of the SELPA CAC is to empower and equip parents of students with special needs to become effective team members in their child’s education. They do that by helping parents gain knowledge of the special education system; learning how to communicate effectively with other team members; and by providing opportunities for training and support.


Special Education Community Advisory Committee (CAC) Meeting Schedule

New CAC Meeting Dates: 2019-2020



Time/Special Topic/Speaker



Wednesday September 18, 2019


9:30-10:30 CAC Regular Business Meeting

10:30-11:30 Special Topic- Supporting Your Child's Social Skill Development and Needs

Placer Union High School District

3775 Richardson Drive
Auburn, CA 95603


Wednesday November 20, 2019


9:30-10:30 CAC Regular Business Meeting 

10:30-12:00 Special Topic and Lunch**-Connecting with your Child in a Digital Age: Managing Technology to Strengthen Relationships and Improve Mental Health


Loomis Unified School District

3290 Humphrey Road
Loomis, CA 95650


Wednesday January 15, 2020


9:30-10:30 CAC Regular Business Meeting

10:30-12:30 Special Topic and Lunch**- Birds & the Bees: Sexuality and Students with Disabilites

 Dry Creek Joint Elementary School District

8849 Cook Riolo Road
Roseville, CA 95747


Wednesday March 18, 2020


9:30-10:30 CAC Regular Business Meeting/Special Topic (to be determined)


 Roseville City School District

1050 Main Street
          Roseville, CA 95678             


May 8, 2020

9:30-11:00 CAC 2020-21 Planning Meeting
For CAC Representatives: 11:00-12:00 Joint SEAC and CAC End of Year Luncheon

Placer County Office of Edcucation

360 Nevada Street

Auburn, CA 95630


  •  Placer County Selpa- CAC: Annual Parent Resource and Information Evening(Click for Flyer)
  • ** To RSVP for any CAC Special Topics that include lunch, please contact Christy McCoard @ 530-886-5876 or email
  • No meetings in December, June and July.


SELPATop of Page

The Special Education Local Plan Area (SELPA) provides special education services in cooperation with the school districts. The SELPA continues to ensure that eligible children, birth through age twenty-one, with handicaps have the opportunity to participate in programs and receive appropriate special education services. Programs and services are available for eligible pupils from infancy through age 21.

SSTTop of Page

The school site Student Study Team discusses and recommends intervention strategies using regular school resources and personnel. The team may coordinate assessment referrals for students whose needs cannot be met with modification of the regular program. The SST may refer a student to special education only after all resources of regular education have been considered and, where appropriate, utilized.

Referrals and IdentificationTop of Page

Referrals for identification of a child with possible special needs may come from:
  • Parents
  • Teachers
  • Doctors
  • Community agency personnel
  • School-based Student Study or Child Study Team
  • Any concerned individual
  • The child

AssessmentTop of Page

Assessment will be done only with parent permission at which time parents will also receive a copy of their  rights. Upon identification of a special need for a child, the IEP Team shall consider appropriate services and placement.

Arrangements will be made to have a child's strengths and possible needs evaluated. This will be done through testing and conferences held among those who have worked with the child: teachers, nurses, counselors, therapists, psychologists and others. The assessment must be completed and an IEP meeting held within 60 days after receipt of a signed assessment plan.

IEPTop of Page

If the parent and the school agree that the child has a disability and requires special education services, an Individualized Education Program will be designed to meet the child's needs. This will take place at a meeting attended by parents and the school personnel and may include others as appropriate.

An IEP will be developed during the planning meeting if it is determined that special education is needed. The following is a partial list of what the Education Code calls for in an IEP:
  • A summary of the assessment findings, including your child's strengths as well as needs.
  • A statement of goals and objectives, which the group suggests for your child.
  • A list of specific services that will be used to find out how well the plan is working (evaluation).
  • A recommendation for placement.
  • The starting date and frequency of services.
Parents are invited to an IEP meeting with appropriate district staff and, if necessary,  personnel from Placer County Office of Education, the SELPA and/or other agencies. Parents may also bring other persons of their own choosing. The following are some tips on how  parents can best participate:

Come prepared. Jot down any questions you want answered or any suggestions you wish to make regarding educational objectives, health, transportation, schedules, and special information concerning your child's needs and strengths.

Ask Questions. If the professionals use terms you do not understand, please ask for an explanation.

Parent Consent
Parent consent is required before the IEP can be put into effect. If parents are uncertain at the end of the meeting as to whether they want the plan to go into effect, they may decline to sign it. They may take it home and think about it if they wish. Those components of the plan that are approved will be implemented. Parents have other rights if they disagree with the discussion of the group. County or district personnel will answer any questions about those rights.

IEP Review
At least once a year there will be a meeting to review the plan to determine if the plan is still appropriate or if it needs to be changed. Parents may also request a review as necessary.

Programs AvailableTop of Page

Designated Instruction and Service: Such instruction and services will be provided by the regular class teacher, the special education teacher or specialists competent to provide such instruction and services. If not, the appropriately credentialed Designated Instruction and Service (DIS) specialist will provide such instruction and service. Some examples are: Adaptive PE and Speech/Language services. If your child needs a specialized service, which relates to his/her educational progress, it may be provided by the local school, County Office of Education or an outside agency.

Resource Specialist Program: The Resource Specialist provides instructional services to students in order to implement the IEP. He/She also provides consultation to parents and regular staff members in areas such as assessment, curriculum and classroom management as well as monitoring pupil services with regular school programs. The majority of the student's day is spent in the regular program.

Special Day Classes: Students with more intensive educational needs may require Special Day Classes. Placement in Special Day Classes shall occur only when the nature of the handicap is such that education in regular classes with the use of supplementary aides and services cannot be achieved satisfactorily. Typically 50% or more of the student's day is spent in Special Day Classes.

State Special Schools: The state provides residential schools and assessment for handicapped pupils as appropriate.

Non-Public, Non-Sectarian Schools and Services: All appropriate public school programs in the SELPA or nearby SELPAs shall be explored prior to considering the non-public school program alternatives.

Parents' RightsTop of Page

Parents are notified of all of their rights annually and at various stages within the special education process. Staffs from the District, County Office of Education or SELPA are available to answer questions and provide assistance.

To view the Special Education Rights of Parents and Children document in your language, click the link below: